Thursday, November 14, 2013

Forum Project!

 I thought our forum piece went so well!

It was surprising to me that people told us we were right to stick to our guns--we proved ourselves and proved that our vision can work. Even if that vision is non-realistic. We proved that a non-realistic style of forum can be functional. I was SO happy that it went well.

At one point, it was suggested that we should use a powerpoint to communicate our information about cops in the street versus cops in the head. Looking back, I find this idea uncomfortable. It delineates a certain amount of privilege, yes, but it also implies that I should put my audience in the dark, show them words and images, and then try to play forum games with them. Forum is about communication, about confrontation, about person-to-person being. So why would I want to miss out on an opportunity to look my audience in the eye? Why would I want to avoid exchanging energy with them, smiling at them, welcoming them to a new world of emotional exploration? It just seems like an odd suggestion to me.

The interventions were interesting--it seemed like everyone got an opportunity to combat a specific facet of oppression that they have felt more than the others. I was surprised when V responded and dove in as quickly as she did. I thought there would be more hesitation--I didn't expect her to intervene at all, to be honest. Her intervention seemed almost a little helpless, a little meek. I think Rumor Girl is also one of the trickier interventions for our triad, though, because she doesn't care if what she says is factual. She doesn't care if anyone likes her or not. She just wants to seem knowledgeable and feel confident, probably because some not-so-great things happened in her past.

Joshua's intervention went beautifully, and I am SO happy that he got something out of it, so happy that there could be a learning experience and that Ben was able to dive in like that. I mean, Joshua has a lot of knowledge on conducting a confrontation with a person and handling himself rationally. I would have been terrified if he had chosen me. I am SO proud that Ben just did the damn thing. So proud.

Dylan conducted himself beautifully and genuinely in his interaction with you--finding a common language and agreeing on topics of discussion and prohibited conversation may be the best we can do with Nanas. I thought it was very brave of you to intervene, Dr. B. Knowing that this is one of your hot-button issues and very personal to you means that we know the courage it probably took for you to intervene, particularly with someone as immoveable as Nana. I hope that it was a productive experience and that it helped absolve or lay to rest some of the poisonous things that were said or handed down to you.

I felt seriously empowered that we created a functional, brave, non-realistic, non-ITT format and that our piece as a success. YAAAAAAAY! Snoopy dances! Kermit arms!

No comments:

Post a Comment