Last Thursday, we did our oops/ouch activity. I found it very helpful, actually. I needed a bit of resolution, and I certainly can always use a lot of hugs. I got to resolve my one outstanding conflict, and I hope the other party feels less weighed down by how that all went. Good juujuu all around! I think it was especially important to engage with something like that before heading into Rainbow. My goodness. I think we all would have felt really up tight if we hadn't done something like that. It also had a wonderful effect on the rest of my life--it's good to make a space for peace to happen instead of relying on it to happen spontaneously. I think that's important and a good lesson for a lot of us to learn and re-learn.
I like Rainbow. A lot. It's rough, it's rocky, it's personal. It's kind of all of the things that I love most about theatre. It puts theatre-making in the hands of any person. It doesn't rely on much privilege, and it offers an opportunity to resolve the unspoken or to rehearse (as Melissa used her experience) for future conflicts along the same vein. What I love most is that Rainbow takes this high-art, abstract idea of making theatre and turns it into an accessible, useful practice even for people who have never done theatre before.
Melissa's particular experience is something I greatly identified with. It was almost the exact conversation I was waiting to propose. I don't have a whole lot of unresolved conflict in my life, thank goodness. I didn't open my particular can of worms, though, because my mother got into town on Tuesday and I was in no place to be vulnerable to something like that right before encountering her. The relationships we have with our mothers...they're tough. It's difficult to recognize that someone loves you when what they're doing or saying is so obviously hurting you. Conversely, I imagine it's difficult to recognize that you're hurting someone when you're trying so hard to prove your love to them.
It was helpful to see Melissa's rainbow pan out. I felt that a small part of my own conflict was resolved. I hope that she does well when her mother and aunt come to town for Thanksgiving. I think I'm going to tell her that she can text me for encouragement while they're here--like if she needs emotional back-up.
One thing about Rainbow that really intrigues me is the audience spotter. I'd like to give that a try, so I'll probably volunteer for it in class today. I feel like I want to be a professional spotter. It would be interesting to practice that in conjunction with energy healing, even if only to sense disturbances and "ruffles in the field". I feel like it could be very useful and very productive--I also think that it would be difficult to know what will help certain people. Joshua, for example, is an introvert and needs people to go away when he's upset. Jennie, though, would probably welcome physical contact and a soft voice of reassurance.
No comments:
Post a Comment