Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Rainbow, Section 3 & 4

Section 3 (75-115):

Many of the image games included in this section are mentioned in Games for Actors and Non-Actors. Some of my favorites are Three Wishes and The Image of the Hour--it was interesting to look into some of the variations as more of a step-by-step system and less a use-this-if-it-works system. It's also nice to have a refresher about Image Theatre, though I feel it takes up a vast portion of this section and of Boal's time and energy when he could easily just say, "Please refer to Theatre of the Oppressed or Games for Actors and Non-Actors," but people probably don't typically read as much Boal as we do, either.

The image archetypes found in Alzira's Threat were fascinating--the image of the oppressed as someone unable to use legs or hands--someone looking down or away in ignorance. It highlights the idea that one of the worst forms of oppression is to see it and not try to stop it, but rather to stand by and allow it to persist.

Section 4 (115-150):

I'm specifically drawn here to The Image of the 'Cops in the Head' and Their Antibodies. The facet that intrigues me most is the stage when the protagonist tells each image statue "Remember that time when....and that is why...." followed by the slow movement of the Cops to their original spots, even after being pushed away from them. That slow, surrealist movement is happening at the same time that the protagonist is attempting battle with the very realistic antagonist. In my head, this is gorgeous. I can see it being a very moving experience, particularly the "remember that time" phase of the activity. I like the fact that the protagonist then gets to teach the audience how to fight each cop and gets to watch it all happen--watch peers take up arms for him/her.

Sometimes I fantasize about getting a degree in psychodrama or drama therapy. I feel as though activities like this one would be particularly beneficial. I might use the slow motion surrealism amidst practical realism sometime as a classroom activity to teach about balance and multitasking, though I would probably modify the game to be something like...take care of your little brother so he doesn't get eaten by zombies. Push them off, but they'll come back. The whole time, you have to tell your little brother a story so he doesn't get scared.

I think that would be a very effective multi-tasking game.

No comments:

Post a Comment