It's a bit of a relief to not have to read Babbage for today's class, I have to say. Frances is a little bit intense, I think. Valuable, but just...WAY dug in. I'm liking the look of a lot of these games but not feeling totally confident in leading them necessarily.
One thing that keeps bothering me--and we brought this up for a moment during class--is the athleticism expected for a lot of the games. We discussed this in the context of the disabled and making modifications, but as a fat-bodied woman, a lot of these games seem kind of tricky. It seems almost Grotowskian, this dedication to athleticism. It seems like a curious thing, because as an American, I'm used to a shelter system in a city being host to many different body types. The available food in the United States is not good quality, and the cheap stuff is full of chemicals that can do horrific things to a body. Many of the oppressed in our country are probably disabled, as well. If we think about Veteran homes and the amount of physical disability present, it seems like the modifications of these games would have to be pretty intense.
I also wonder about how well these games could cater to people who have mental dis-orders--people who are schizophrenic or even people with Borderline Personality Disorder. I wonder if these games could be modified to create a safe environment and if they could be used during therapy. I know there's been some mention of it, but I wonder what kind of therapy.
ANYWAY. Some of the games that intrigue me are the hotel killer, some of the noise games, and--though I may have overlooked it, the silent game where the blind people try not to bump into anyone else and if they do, they sit down to become a "bomb" for other people.
But I don't know if that's okay or not?
No comments:
Post a Comment